Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini says he will trust Mario Balotelli if he plays him in Monday's Manchester derby, but "only in this game". It is a dramatic turnaround from four weeks ago, when at news conference Mancini stated he could never trust the unpredictable striker. The 21-year-old has not played since being sent off against Arsenal earlier this month. At the time Mancini said he would not play again this season.
Mancini said “Can he be trusted? I think for this game yes. Only in this game. Mario is a player like others who is available for Monday and I will decide. He has apologised for the sending-off at Arsenal. He is training well. Mario can score two or three goals if he wants."
The City boss faces another selection dilemma among the forwards as he ponders Carlos Tevez's position. He added "It is impossible for him to be 100% after six months without playing. His experience and cleverness have got four, five goals and it is important. His contribution has probably been greater than I expected. I hope that, in the next three games, he continues to do this. I think he can find his best form next season."
He also denied that the game against United is "make-or-break", saying: "I don't think it is a decider. We play Newcastle who are one of the best teams in the Premier League and they have had a good season and have a fantastic manager. Then QPR come here and may need to win."